Wills & Estates Law
Jerry Kiriak is a leader among Edmonton estate lawyers who has an Edmonton law office and handles wills, trusts and estate planning.
Get answers about estate law in Alberta from Jerry Kiriak, a leader among Edmonton estate lawyers handling wills, trusts and estate planning
Jerry Kiriak is a leader among trust and estate lawyers in Edmonton Alberta with a law office offering estate planning legal help & advice

You have questions about wills, estates and probate. We have answers

Home | Wills & Estates Law | Frequently Asked Questions

About Wills EdmontonThe following questions and answers about wills and estate planning apply to individuals living in Alberta. They are provided for information purposes only. Learn more about your rights and obligations by requesting a free introductory consultation with a Wills and Estates lawyer at Kiriak Law.

What is a will?

A will is a legal document that describes how a person’s assets should be distributed following his or her death. Contact us today to learn about the importance of having an up-to-date Will. It is also important that you understand why dying without a Will in Alberta is not in anyone's interest.

What is an estate?

This is the property a person owns or has a legal interest in. It is also the term used to describe the assets and liabilities left by a person after death.

When can I change my will?

You can change your will at any time.

What is an executor?

This is the person you appoint to administer the distribution of your assets.

What is Power of Attorney?

This is a legal document that gives another person the right to act on your behalf.

What happens if I die without a will?

Your assets will be distributed according to the provisions in the Wills and Succession Act. You should be aware that there are specific rules on how much can be given to surviving children, a surviving spouse or adult interdependent partner.

At what age can a person make a will?

You need to be 18 or older, unless you were married before the age of 18 or are a member of the Canadian Armed Forces.

What is a living will?

If you are at least 18 years old, you can appoint another person to act as your agent on non-financial issues when you are unable to make these decisions yourself. This directive is a legal document and it must be provided in writing.

What does it mean when a person has diminished mental capacity?

This means a person cannot understand information or the consequences of any decisions they make about finances, health care or personal care.

What is Probate?

This is the legal procedure whereby the court determines the validity of a will and confirms the executor’s appointment. In Alberta, the court is the Surrogate Court. An executor can apply to the Surrogate Court to probate a will. Learn more, including how long it takes to probate a will in Alberta, by requesting your free introductory consultation today.

What is a Grant of Probate?

A Grant of Probate is a confirmation from the Surrogate Court that the Will submitted to the Court is indeed the deceased person’s last Will and further that the Personal Representative/Executor can go ahead and distribute the assets of the deceased in accordance with the probated Will.

What is a Grant of Administration?

Another legal process for the distribution of estate assets that applies when a person dies without a valid will. Typically, a close member applies for a Grant of Administration, but a Court can appoint someone else in some circumstances.

How much are probate fees?

Probate fees vary, depending on the size and complexity of the estate. The minimum fee, covering estates valued at $10,000 or less, is $25; the maximum fee, for estates valued at over $250,000, is $400.

Is a new will necessary when you get married or divorced?

When you get married, your existing will is cancelled unless you made a stipulation that the will was written in "contemplation of marriage" and names your future spouse. The act of getting divorced does not revoke an existing will.

What is the purpose of a codicil to a will?

A codicil to a will is a change to an existing will, not an entirely new will. To be valid, it must meet the same requirements that apply to a will (signed by the person who made the codicil and two witnesses).

Have other questions about wills and estates in Alberta? Contact Kiriak Law online or by phone to request a free, no-obligation introductory consultation.

Need quick answers to your legal questions?

Get Legal Help Now

Contact Us

Submit your inquiry using the form below. We'll respond to you as soon as possible. For faster service, please call our office at 780-944-1777.

Please wait while we load the rest of the form.

"Thank you so much for all you did for me. I am so grateful. The result was even better than I expected. I'm so glad I picked you."

Natasha C.
Edmonton, Alberta

Helpful Resources

Discover why your search for the best Wills & Estates lawyer in Edmonton is not over until you have received your free introductory consultation from Kiriak Law

Contact Us Online Call 780-944-1777